[Gllug] newbie install day

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 07:47:31 UTC 2008

On Tue 11 Nov, Diana Scott wrote:
> I have a new idea after reading the latest Linux Format Christmas 08 issue
> page 40 that feature how to build your own distro. I know it isn't the
> easiest thing to do but would it be fun to add this as a feature on the
> Newbie Install Day for the more experienced users / speakers not only to
> help the newbies to install their systems but also an opportunity to share
> their skills and knowledge in demostrating how to build your own distro. I
> think it would inspire and encourage the newbies to learn more about
> different aspects of linux and what it can build from it. The sky is the
> limit.
>
> Diana

   Building your own distro from scratch is fraught with unexpected
problems, and would require very extensive testing. However the Debian
installer is specifically designed so that it can be modified to install a
custom setup using the huge existing list of Debian maintained packages. I
have never done it, and the normal management system provides easy
modification of the initial base installation, but all the information is
published on their website.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk