[Gllug] Future meetings - ideas

sean S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 18:26:22 UTC 2008

David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Assuming you want to attend meetings (and perhaps even contribute to
> one/them in some way) - see previous msg ("Philosophy"), your
> conditional answer or next question may well be "what subject(s)?".
>
> As mentioned, I have my ideas and have collected some potential
> speakers, but what range of topics interests US most?

can we start to think about rough dates for those speakers?

3 speakers for a saturday seems about right, with 1 or 2 for an evening
meeting. we have had both types of meeting with good turnouts.

24th jan, 4th,5th april uni systems all down.
11th april is easter saturday.

> Possible themes:
> - distro choice, install and hardware-level hands-on/Install-fests
> - fix my bits: (again, hands-on) here's my PC how do I...
> - Linux software how-tos, eg getting SAMBA to go, utilising LVM...
> - Linux futures: what's next in Gnome/KDE, IPA, Spacewalk...
> - Open Source applications: I developed xyz here's how it works...
> - Development: I write in abc language and here's how...
> - other development/tools topics: frameworks, ???
> - FOSS advocacy: how to get the word out about Open Source
> - FOSS projects: project team members tell us what's going on...
> - How organisations are using Linux, eg ISPs, corporates, SMBs
> (add your ideas here)
>
> Regards,
> =dn
>
> PS requesting that you not deride* someone else's ideas/requests - weak
> or off-the-wall requests will become obvious if further support fails to
> materialise!
> (*without first contributing two constructive contributions of your own..)

all suggestions are ok. suggestions for talks tend not to be knocked by
other people. they will turn up if something attracts them and won't if
nothing does. i've seen people turn up at the end of a meeting just for
a drink and some food. in the days when we ran the lab sessions in
parallel with the talks we'd have some people spend all the meeting in
the labs.

regards

sean

--
The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office:
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk