[Gllug] Linux equivalent of OS X filesystem Directory

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 13:03:10 UTC 2008

On Wed 19 Nov, Alistair Mann wrote:

> In days of old, we used to reformat a drive with bad blocks and see if
> they went away, reusing the drive if they did. These days, any drives of
> mine with even a single bad block get thrown away. Maybe because drives
> are cheaper, maybe because time is more expensive...

   I have re-used many older drives, but I first create a single large
partition then mke2fs -c -c to thoroughly check the drive. Some are
obviously faulty, with clicking noises,  but almost all other faults

disappear. I suspect many errors are due to accidental loss of power or
crashes or rebooting while still writing with another OS.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk