[Gllug] bulk tape eraser sought - central London Area

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Nov 19 17:57:35 UTC 2008

On Wed Nov 19 12:45 , "John Hearns"  sent:

>2008/11/19 Andrew Farnsworth <farnsaw at stonedoor.com>
>
>I wonder what Guass rating you need to erase those tapes?  Many an MRI puts out a
>field of several Gauss to a range of many meters.  I have a friend who works in
>an MRI Research facility and his office is one floor down and an office or two
>over from the 7T magnet and he cannot run a monitor on the side of the office
>closest to the magnet.  Depending on the rating you need, you might be able to
>just put them "near" the machine for certain definitions of the word "near".
>When I were but a  PhD student at CERN  we had a 1.5 Tesla magnet - but this was
the second or third biggest magnet in the world, and you could comfortably set up
house inside it. In the equipment barracks next to it underground (portakabins)
the monitors on the computers had to be read by tilting your head to the side.

They actually have a 9T magnet, but the bore on it is barely big enough for a
(dead) mouse.  The 7T is big enough for a full human scan.  They don't make them
any bigger than that (or they didn't as of last summer).  They actually had to
have a building specifically designed from the ground up to handle the magnet,
then have it installed while the building was being built, and then tuned
carefully to be sure it imaged correctly.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk