[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 14 13:07:42 UTC 2008

John Edwards wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:14:47AM +0000, Hari Sekhon wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> If you want a stable distro, use the stable branch, that name never
>> changes. If you want a newer, use Testing branch and if you want
>> Bleeding Edge but may break use Unstable.
>>
> <snip>
>
> I thought the current wisdom is to use the codenames in
> /etc/apt/sources.list and not use 'stable', to avoid problems
> when you 'apt-get upgrade' one day and find that a new version
> has been released.
>
> You might be aware of it (having read the Debian announce list),
> but what if a junior member of your sysadmin team is not?

Yeah I am aware of that. However, I have monitoring on available
updates. When a new version is released, I will see that there are
hundreds of packages for upgrade, it's not something you can easily miss
unless you're not managing your servers properly.

Admittedly, I do put etch in my sources.lst though, but I'm not
convinced whether etch or stable is better really...

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk