[Gllug] Integrating *nixen (mostly OSX) into MS Active Directory

Thu Oct 23 13:52:31 UTC 2008

Morning All,

I'm basically after some relatively real-world information on how easy
it is for OSX and Linux boxes to integrate into a MS Active Directory
domain.

For some ease of understanding, I'm a junior in an IT department of four
at a printing company. The IT department is _very_ MS-focused, but the
studios are exclusively Macs. We're owned by a bigger MS-focused
company, with a non-technical head of IT.

There's been quite a bit of talk of late about network security and the
like, and the draft security policy document suggests banning
non-Windows clients from the network on the grounds that they cannot be
incorporated into MS Active Directory.

I want to argue that it is possible to achieve some AD integration with
*nix OSs (I presume I can get quite a bit with an LDAP client?), but I'm
having fun finding any real-world information on it.

Have any of you got any experience of it, and how successful were you?
I'm currently more after an idea of what is possible than an explanation
of exactly how I do it (with a bit of luck I'll be back for that shortly).

--
Avi Greenbury :) http://aviswebsite.co.uk
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk