[Gllug] SATA card recommendations.

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Oct 14 09:59:25 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:11:02AM +0100, Andre wrote:
[...]
> I have one of these:
> http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=17142 working
> well in my Ubuntu Hardy Server, 2.6.24-19-generic kernel.

I picked up something more or less identical for about a tenner at one of
those Tottenham Court Road shows. Had to pay 1.50 to get it, but of course
didn't need to pay delivery charges.

> It has two 1TB drives attached (half of a raid array) and doesn't have the
> disappearing partitions problem that my much more expensive Adaptec card
> has.

Unless it's a hardware RAID card, Adaptec is a waste of money and you're
just paying for the name. Some people might say s/Unless/Even/, but I've not
played with their current high-end stuff. I'm happy with the Adaptec 2400A
RAID controller I acquired a few years back.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk