[Gllug] IPv6 (was SATA card recommendations.)

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at ossified.net
Fri Oct 3 12:43:26 UTC 2008

Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
> On the one hand you are correct, on the other hand I am, on the gripping
> hand we both are.  If you are a company that can (and will) use a
> significant portion of the /64 address space you are assigned, then
> there is a huge benefit and the company will use "one" address in the
> remaining 64 bit address space instead of the thousands assigned out of
> the 32 bit address space of IPv4.  (Infamous last words here) This
> should be plenty for the near future.

Realistically, IPv6 is not going to be used this way. Despite it being
possible to use all of the addresses in a /64 given enough devices on a
single network (ignoring for the moment that prefixes longer than /64
are routable in principle), it likely that consumers will be handed /48
or /56 blocks by their ISPs to simplify matters for everyone. We're
still not going to run out :)

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk