[Gllug] Disc partitions

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 20:16:03 UTC 2008

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008, Alain Williams wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 04:31:44PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:

[snipped]

> > http://www.span.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1202&man_filter=82
>
> That is nice ... lets you put many IDE disks into one machine, the 4
> device IDE limit can be a pain.

What 4 device limit?  There is a two device limit per channel.  For
performance it's advised you use only one, but you can have many
channels, I've seen a box with something like /dev/hda* to /dev/hdm*

There is a 4 primary partition limit if you're trying to remain
compatible with Windows, is that where your confusion comes from?

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk