[Gllug] [ot] unsolicited mail from LPI-UK

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 20:26:06 UTC 2008

2008/10/30 Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org>:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 01:10:54PM +0000, Hari wrote:
>> Interesting. How about simply putting the certs on the CV, then
>> forgetting about the clueless employers who would make such decisions
>> without evaluating skills? (which is what it's all about)
>>
>> Surely if you are clued up, you'd be happier working for a clued up
>> employer? (or at least an employer who thinks the same way)
>
> Often, some of the people who influence the hiring process are not
> people you will ever work with or for.  Why risk letting an asshole who
> would be irrelevent to the job stop you from getting it?
>
> The gap between the hiring/personnel process and the actual workplace is
> a huge chasm in some organisations.  There is some very interesting work
> being done by interesting people in places with layers of crap upper
> management and personnel departments.

It really surprises me that we should be agonizing about this.

I get certifications because that shows I am trying to keep up to date.

If there are people out there that take that against you I could not
care less. I have heard people that dump CVs because you have been too
long in a company and others that do the same if you seem to be
changing jobs too often.

So since I can't  please everybody I just put on my CV what I see as
positives and am glad when some other people agree with me.

No need for much soul searching frankly.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk