[Gllug] GLLUG at Olympia, October 2008

Calvin mail at lordcalvin.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 22:20:31 UTC 2008

The legality of WoW is questionable :P
Emulated servers arn't illegal. But connecting to one using the WoW client
does break the EULA.

Second Life is a good idea. I didn't know it was possible to host your own
servers. Seems someone has reverse engineered an emu-server and made it open
source. I'll have a look at OpenSim and see how it is.
The specifics of the game isn't important, just the idea. Hosting a game
server and a client machine, for people to see/play with Live. I was just
trying to think of something extremely popular, and WoW fits the bill.

Autodesk do offer a free version of Maya for non-commercial use. So that
shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think Gimp is over rated, it really can do a lot. But again it's not
the specific package that's important. More the idea of doing a demo of a
FOSS alternative to an Adobe product at a Mac Expo. That would be cool, no?
=]
If you're an Inkscape fan, maybe you could do something like Inkscape vs
Freehand/Illustrator?

Calvin