[Gllug] ADSL providers

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Oct 29 07:57:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 04:52 +0000, Peter Childs wrote:

> Does anyone have recommendations for reasonable Business Broadband,
> possibly SDSL, ADSL2 or Fiber (We have been looking at BeThere)

I'm using BeThere here (domestically) and it completely outperforms
Virgin Media's bogus "fibre" nonsense.  I live in an area that is
shadowed (behind a big hill) from Crystal Palace, and in the days of
Cable Camden (later, Cable London) we had almost 100% of households
connected to the cable.  Since "Virgin on the Ridiculous" took over,
that's dropped to (roughly) 15%.  I left VM about three months ago - I'd
had enough.

VM is truly appalling.  Their "20 Mb/s" service is actually 5 Mb/s with
the occasional burst to 20 Mb/s - their capping means that restrictions
kick in after just four or five minutes of downloading, and then last
effectively for the rest of the day.  Their "unlimited" service is
nothing of the sort!  There are many frequent service interruptions,
many DNS problems, and they (usually) refuse to acknowledge that any
fault actually exists.  Their cable TV service is generally bad - and
again they refuse to admit to network capacity problems.  For example,
their "on demand" TV services have never worked around here.  VM now
have a small-print caveat in all their advertising: "subject to network
capacity"...

BeThere already have an agreement to use the BT "Fibre to the Home" as
it is installed.  Luckily, I live in one of the test areas, and will
have FTTH installed early next year...

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk