[Gllug] Polipo - Was: Caching youtube videos

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Oct 6 22:01:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 08:42:26PM +0100, Stuart Children wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 11:48:32AM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > Sorry, I missed the best bit there.  If I click on this, I get a popup
> > which says:
> >
> >   You should not add an exception if you are using an internet
> >   connection that you do not trust completely or if you are not used to
> >   seeing a warning for this server.
> >
> >     [ GET ME OUT OF HERE! ]  [ ADD EXCEPTION ... ]
>
> Yes, and if you follow the add exception process through, the
> certificate (and the fact that you trust it) is stored and on next
> visits you go straight through with nary a word.

"Nary a word"?  I really hope that's a joke because the dialog you get
after clicking Add Exception confused me to the point where it took
_me_ a minute to work out what to press to get it to accept the
certificate.  There is no way this would pass the girlfriend /
grandmother test.

> Is that not the case? Yet in your original email
> you said:
>
> > The recent change to Firefox 3
> > where it now refuses to go to sites that have self-signed certificates

And I stand by that statement.  It _does plainly_ refuse to go to such
sites.  You get a page which is to all intents and purposes
indistinguishable from an error page, such as a 404.

> Maybe you meant it differently, but that sounds to me like there is no way to
> visit those sites - which is not true.

Certainly.  One way would be to shut down Firefox 3 and use a sane web
browser.

> You also said:
>
> > Instead it should act like ssh -- show the key when you first visit a
> > site, show nothing on subsequent visits unless the key changes.
>
> Which I think it does.

When you get through that multi-layered confusing dialog, ok.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat