[Gllug] GLLUG at Olympia, October 2008

Calvin mail at lordcalvin.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 20:25:21 UTC 2008

So there were quite a few of us at the stand today. Probably a little
over-manned :P

I found the expo good tbh, if not a little small (the Linux side anyway). It
was good to meet everybody.

Towards the end of the expo we were throwing around a few ideas and stuff
for the next one.

Here's some things that come to mind at the moment;

Firstly I think we need to figure out the Target Audience.
At the moment I think the stand is aimed at people in the know. Someone who
already knows about Linux.

Firewall demonstrations are good for the techies, but at an event like
Creative/Mac Expo, I think we could have enticed a few techies away from the
Dark Side ;-)

*Change of signage:-*
The sign above the stand was a bit non-descriptive.
Instead of just 'GLLUG' we could maybe have the full name? GLLUG doesn't
really mean much to Joe Average. Doesn't tell them what we're about.

*Games Servers:-*
I know some of the members have a load of servers just laying around. I was
thinking we could have one running a game server - maybe World of Warcraft
(most popular MMORPG).

*Gaming Machines:-*
If we did run a WoW server, we could have a desktop machine running the game
client, so people can have a little play and see that 1) WoW works on Linux,
and 2) they can have their own private server running at home, on Linux.
[WoW runs on pretty low specs, so that shouldn't be a problem.]

*Gnome Basic Desktop/Netbook:-*
I also think it'd be nice to have one desktop running for newbies like
Mum/Dad... Apps like Open Office, Firefox.
Would be perfect if we could have a netbook running for this.
The reason I say Gnome Desktop is because the Ubuntu/Gnome Live CD is
perfect for this example.

*Designer Desktop:-*
Another thing we could do at a shared expo like this one, is show off all
the design applications.
Stuff like Maya, Inkscape and of course Gimp.

*Regarding the .org village* itself, another thing we were discussing was
the posibility of having sit-downs.
I think this would be really cool. From a non-technical side, what if we had
someone who knows a thing or two about Gimp, showing that it's actually
worthy of Photoshop competition, with join-in tutorials.
Obviously anyone can sit down with their laptop, install Gimp (grab it off
our wireless network?) and join in. Nice and simple.
Then from a technical side, we could have some demonstrations - someone from
debian could setup a server? Then someone from drupal could setup drupal on
this server? It would be possible for the .org village to work together this
way and create something that competes with the Mac Overdose on the other
side of the expo...

Just a few ideas to bounce off.

Calvin