[Gllug] SMS to email gateway

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Oct 14 20:14:33 UTC 2008

emacs.el wrote:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> emacs.el wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend a cheap SMS to email gateway service? I want users to
>>> be able to send a text to update a web calendar so it only needs to be one-way.
>> why not just connect a pay-as-you-go phone to your computer and people
>> send text msgs there ?
>>

> What kind of connector between the phone and the Linux machine?

If you get one of these wireless broadband dongles then that gives you
the ability to send and receive SMS messages from the PC.  I'm not aware
of an API, but there exists a program called Vodafone Mobile Connect
Card driver for Linux, and it's open source so you can always extract
from it the bit that you want.

HTH
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk