[Gllug] Integrating *nixen (mostly OSX) into MS Active Directory

Richard Revis Richard.Revis at truphone.com
Thu Oct 23 15:22:45 UTC 2008

> I want to argue that it is possible to achieve some AD
> integration with *nix OSs (I presume I can get quite a bit
> with an LDAP client?), but I'm having fun finding any
> real-world information on it.
>
> Have any of you got any experience of it, and how successful
> were you?

Experience of decision making in large companies, yes.

Apologies if this is inappropriate, but _argue_ set me off on a tangent :)

 - Prepare a one page overview of options.
	(There are three options here! Do nothing is an option.)
 - Provide (estimated) costs and benefits.
 - List non-tangible costs and benefits.
 - Add an exec summary at the start of one paragraph or less.

The costs should include costs of migration (in terms of time), additional hardware costs and overtime for the transition period, investigation costs, staff retraining (staff*billing rate*1 week), anything else which is > £500, and a budget for uncertainty. Don't forget to cost people at their opportunity cost, not their salary.

The non-tangible costs and benefits should include staff productivity, recruitment and retention (seriously - it's an issue for creatives and technical people who need to keep skills current), future flexibility and single source supplier vulnerability.

The summary should be unbiased, as keeping things impersonal helps cut down on the reprisals for being right :) The one page overview should be attractively laid out, with plenty of white space and large headings. This, sadly, counts for about 50% of the chance of success.

Richard

Truphone and SIM4travel are trading names of Software Cellular Network Ltd. registered in England and Wales (registered company number: 4187081). Registered office: Carmelite, 50 Victoria Embankment, Blackfriars, London EC4Y 0DX

This e-mail, and any attachment/s, may contain information which is confidential or privileged, and is intended for the addressee only.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose, copy or distribute this information in any manner whatsoever. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk