[Gllug] Linux migration in small businesses

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sat Sep 6 18:22:21 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-06 at 16:51 +0100, Ken Smith wrote:

> Although I use FC8 daily as my desktop I still use W2K and XP as well.
> In FC8, I find NetworkManager truly obtuse. I'm afraid XP's (with SP2)
> ability to cope with Wireless Networks leaves NetworkManager standing
> floundering in the dark. (Sorry.. That's not a flame bait - just my
> experience - when I'm trying to sort wireless out I switch to XP)

I had this issue with the current iteration of Ubuntu - Network Mangler
was (at best) intermittent.  I found that the solution was to replace NM
with WICD.  There is no comparison - WICD works remarkably well on every
machine I've tried it on, whereas I've had nothing but trouble with
NM.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk