[Gllug] Home server

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Sep 13 20:02:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 04:11:26PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> I'd be fascinated to hear if the performance and reliability are
> acceptable. From my experiences of USB mass storage I'd be reluctant to
> trust it with /var/tmp let alone anything significant: my impressions
> are of high interrupt and CPU load, frequent undiagnosed corruption
> (mostly single-bit flips) when going at USB2 speed (which is a must for
> any sensible storage volumes, of course), and (with some external
> drives) undiagnosed and apparently *unfixable* filesystem corruption,
> possibly due to bugs in the FTL or other parts of the layer between the
> usb mass-storage fake-SCSI layer and the filesystem.

Is this with USB hard drives or solid-state memory?  I've not had any
problems with USB hard drives -- maybe I'm just lucky.  Flash keys on
the other hand are a constant problem, although I suspect that's just
down to a mixture of poor treatment and very cheap parts.

I will of course be doing some intensive tests before committing any
valuable data to the system.

That is when I work around this bug which I found when trying to
install CentOS today:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2552

(Despite what the bug report says, installing RHEL hits the same bug).

The problem is that the Geode LX processor identifies itself as an
i586 (not i686) and Red Hat don't build i586 kernels any more.
However it is reported that i686 kernels work just fine -- assuming
you can install them.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones