[Gllug] Home server

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Sep 13 15:11:26 UTC 2008

On 12 Sep 2008, Richard Jones stated:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 09:13:01PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
>> I did promise last month to blog about my new home storage system:
>>
>>   http://lists.gllug.org.uk/pipermail/gllug/2008-August/074045.html
>
> OK, I'm starting the series here:
>
> http://camltastic.blogspot.com/search/label/homeserver

I'd be fascinated to hear if the performance and reliability are
acceptable. From my experiences of USB mass storage I'd be reluctant to
trust it with /var/tmp let alone anything significant: my impressions
are of high interrupt and CPU load, frequent undiagnosed corruption
(mostly single-bit flips) when going at USB2 speed (which is a must for
any sensible storage volumes, of course), and (with some external
drives) undiagnosed and apparently *unfixable* filesystem corruption,
possibly due to bugs in the FTL or other parts of the layer between the
usb mass-storage fake-SCSI layer and the filesystem.

(I saw this on half a dozen drives and three or four machines, but maybe
it's just me.)

--
`Not even vi uses vi key bindings for its command line.' --- PdS
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk