[Gllug] IBM Thinkpad Z61e for sale

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 20:52:34 UTC 2008

On 20 Aug 2008, at 16:42, Richard Jones wrote:
[...]
> You should check whether the processor supports hardware virtual-
> ization.  It's not necessary for Xen, but it is necessary for KVM and
> we'd recommend you try KVM first.

Hypervisor-based systems such as Xen use less resources than full CPU
emulation such as KVM, Xen and Parallels. If you're specifically
interested in building lots of virtualised Linux boxes, I'd recommend
Xen.

If you want even lower resource usage, look at linux-vserver. It's
orthogonal to Xen so you can even run it within a Xen domain - both
Dom0 and DomU - if you like. Linux-vserver runs on an even wider range
of architectures to Xen.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk