[Gllug] Debian question from a RH user

Ryan Cartwright ryan at crimperman.org
Mon Sep 29 14:16:46 UTC 2008

Ken Smith wrote:
> I normally use RedHat style systems but today I'm dealing with a Debian
> 4 system. I need to install ifenslave-2.6 and apt-get install
> ifenslave-2.6 can't find the package.

You did run apt-get update first, right?

> My google foo is failing me today. How do I add the right repository to
> apt

It should be in main so  you probably don't need to. Check the contents
of /etc/apt/sources.list to be certain. Run apt-get update afterwards if
you make any changes. Also make sure it's pointing to online
repositories (assuming the box is 'net connected). Teaching granny to
suck eggs time but if the box is not connected to the 'net make sure the
CD is in the drive :D.

> or should I just grab a ifenslave-2.6.deb file from a repository and
> install it.

You can do so but I'd be tempted to fix apt. Particularly so you don't
then have to go and grab any dependencies as well - it's what apt is for ;).

> Whats the Debian equivalent of "rpm -ivh" ?

dpkg -i <packagename>

HTH
Ryan
--