[Gllug] ADSL Bridge

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 22 22:32:07 UTC 2008

On Mon 22 Sep, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:

> My father-in-law has a static /29 with Zen.
>
> He currently uses an adsl modem/router which has one interface, one
> IP, so he only uses one of his IP addresses.
>
> He'd like to use his other IPs, and have them go to different hobby
> linux machines for various purposes.
>
> I think what he needs is some kind of modem/router that can either
> pass through to a firewall, or that can have multiple IPs itself.
>
> Any ideas or recommendations?
>
> S.

   I have the usual single IP address, so have not done it, but it depends
on the number of real machines in your local netwok compared with the number
of allocated IP addresses. If there are sufficient allocated IP addresses
for your complete network they can each be given one, while the modem/router
should be able to use a "link-local" address in non-NAT mode.
   If there are more computers than available IP addresses, you will have to
use masquerading or NAT and set up aliases to the relevant boxes within your
local network. This may be possible just using the modem/router, or on a
separate firewall box (I use IPCop on an old PC). I am not using anything
like VPN, and my system does not complain if I have double NAT, on both the
ADSL modem and the IPCop box, so I have never bothered to put the modem in
non-NAT mode.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk