[Gllug] linux expo

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 11:31:42 UTC 2008

On Fri 12 Sep, Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 08:51 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> > and chat can often seed a crowd, because there must be something more
> > interesting on that stand, even if that person is only asking the way to the
> > loo.
>
> So do something to get people around the stand. Of course you then have
> to have something to talk to them about and with no meetings planned and
> nobody seemingly engaged in planning any (aside from the one Sean is
> setting up for new students) it's a bit hard to see the point.
>
> Jason

   There is little problem getting people to go past the stand, but it does
need something extra to get them to pause for a while. I tried to provide
something to see that might be useful to new users, showing that it was not
difficult to install and configure the software, and even getting visitors
to do it themselves.
   Anyone willing to do something new, or offer to help, would be welcome,
bearing in mind that space is limited, hardware other than laptops needs to
be delivered the day before, and removed immediately after the end of show
on the last day. The stand should be manned for the entire duration, as well
as a short time after the end of show to provide security and help with the
derig. There are some security staff on duty at all times, but there is no
secure storage, and the derig is disorganised chaos. Access to the very
limited internal loading area is not guaranteed, and local parking
restrictions are enforced.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk