[Gllug] best way of making backups

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Sep 14 15:54:31 UTC 2008

John Hearns wrote:
> As I frequently chip in on these threads, for disk-based backup look at
> dirvish:
>
> http://www.dirvish.org/

Seconded.  I now use a dedicated box (with a couple of large HDDs in a
Raid-1 configuration) for my backups.  It wakes up at about 3 o'clock in
the morning, does a bit of housekeeping, then uses Dirvish to back up
stuff from a variety of places, e-mails me a status report and then
shuts down again.

Dirvish (building on the back of rsync) is very, very clever.  Even my
remote virtual server now gets a full backup every night, and at very
little expense of bandwidth.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk