[Gllug] OT: HD Camcorder (Linux and PS3 compatibility)

Damion Yates damion at trap.me.uk
Tue Sep 16 14:50:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:
> > I fear this will be unlikely and faced with the prospect of transcoding
> > video, and waiting umteen hours for that to finish before I can play the
> > HD video back on my telly, I will soon regret bothering.
>
> If its within your budget, the Sont HDR-SR12 is very good, and does a
> great job. plugs into a linux box, and comes up like mass storage, so
> you can pretty much cp the vidoes away.

If you have one could you record for a few seconds and send me the
resulting media file.  I'll see if it plays, or what pain is required
to make it play on the PS3.

Looking up that camera it seems very impressive and pricy, but maybe
also a tad annoying for compatibility:

As you can see from:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-SR12-First-Impressions-Camcorder-Review-34178.htm

 > OF more interest to me( and not mentioned in the review) is the LANC
 > control and IEEE1394( the US site has this but the European doesn't ,I
 > think it would be great but I think the US site is wrong!!!)both listed
 > on the Sony Web site( and of course omitted from your spec sheet!!!!!).

 The one-year old JVC GZ-HD7 has both USB port for file transfer, as well
 as FireWire port for old-style realtime transfer emulating a tape-based
 camcorder. It also can record video onto SDHC card. So, nothing new this
 year from Sony, Panasonic and Canon.

 I am not a JVC fanboy, I just hate to see that JVC failed to grab the
 market just because of tiny sensors, poor OIS and its own stupidity. It
 should have marketed MPEG-2 transport stream, which is Greek to many, as
 "HDV on disk" and it would have gotten golden.

 Of all models shown this year by Sony, Panasonic and Canon none is
 better than the last-year JVC model feature-wise.

This means it won't support old-style realtime transfer emulating a
tape-based camcorder.  Doesn't support MPEG-2 as a default save option
(not that surprising, nor easy to edit, but convient for immediate xfer
to DVD or playback on PS3).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk