[Gllug] Linux migration in small businesses

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Sep 10 22:30:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 09:39:08PM +0100, - Tethys wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
>
> > If you file a bug about a particular package which in your opinion
> > unnecessarily depends upon NetworkManager, then it'll get looked at.
>
> Been there, done that. Several times. Typical response:
> CLOSED->WONTFIX.  "Development Management has reviewed and declined
> this request. You may appeal this decision by reopening this request."

If you've got a BZ # I'll take a look.

> To be fair, some of them are still open. But only one has been fixed,
> and that was only because I pointed it out in a very public way (in
> Max Spevack's Slashdot interview), which prompted a discussion on the
> fedora-advisory-board list and a hurried fix before the interview went
> public.
>
> But in F9, firefox still depends on metacity, system-config-bind
> depends on esound, gnome-keyring and many megabytes of other unrelated
> nonsense, system-config-printer similarly depends on X11, and
> ImageMagick depends on avahi, gamin and libcroco.

You might get a better response by actually proposing a specfile patch
to move the dependencies into a subpackage.  I know as someone
personally maintaining ~ 70 Fedora packages, I don't have very much
time to look at bugs which _I_ might think are fanciful feature
requests.  Either that, or join as a Fedora developer and then you can
directly make the required changes yourself.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat