[Gllug] To LLU or Not to LLU?

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Wed Apr 1 20:46:55 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 01 April 2009, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Wed 01 Apr, Dylan wrote:
> > Indeed, I would argue that the infrastructure should never have been
> > bundled with the service provision in the first place. Only if the owners
> > of the wires and the providers of the services are separate can we hope
> > to prevent the sort of obstructive and (arguably) anti-competitive
> > practices whe currently have to endure.
> >
> > Dx
>
>    You then reach the state I am in, with fibres independantly installed by
> about 10 organisations in the road and sewer behind my house, many more in
> the local area, with the roads now in an appalling state of disrepair with
> very large holes appearing throughout the North Acton and Park Royal areas.

That is not a necessary consequence - the infrastructure can be owned and
operated by a statutory company, or controlled by statutory instrument. This
would be similar to the railway or gas model (which is inefficient due to
lack of effective regulation and management, not in virtue of the underlying
model.)

Dx

--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk