[Gllug] Ubuntu Jaunty Releases and Beer this evening

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 25 15:31:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:26:26AM -0500, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
>> There are other ways, different from contributing code, to be generous.
>
> Yeah, like Red Hat spending $91m on research last year[1], which is
> more than 3 times the annual _revenue_ of Canonical (Ubuntu not being
> in the slightest bit profitable - it would fold and go out of business
> tomorrow if it wasn't being supported by one rich donor).
>
> Next ...
>
> Rich.
>
> [1] http://www.ciozone.com/index.php/Editorial-Research/Top-50-Technology-R&D-Spenders.html

We get it mate,  most of us know who is who in the Linux world, and if
you want a hug (not to speak of our professional recommendations when
advising about software) please consider yourself hugged.

It feels  ungracious  to nitpick about the big impact Ubuntu is having
in Linux's  general visibility,
having a credible Linux desktop alternative is good for everybody
since this make people curious about Linux, whom otherwise would not
have a glance at it. If a rich guy chooses to spend his money doing
this I for one commend his efforts.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk