[Gllug] DNS verification (slightly OT)

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Fri Apr 17 08:26:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 09:12:07AM +0100, Joel Bernstein wrote:

> On 17 Apr 2009, at 09:06, Andy Millar wrote:
>
> >> john at liberty:~$ host -t NS morsing.cc
> >> morsing.cc name server 72.14.177.241.morsing.cc.
> >> morsing.cc name server 93.93.131.95.morsing.cc.
> >> morsing.cc name server ns1.widge.net.
> >> morsing.cc name server ns2.widge.net.
> >
> > Plus, using IP addresses as name servers isn't valid, is it?
>
> What? No! It's perfectly valid to have:
> mydomain.foo. IN NS ns1.example.org.
> mydomain.foo. IN NS 12.34.38.82

That's odd?! When I originally listed the IPs with trailing dots bind moaned so I removed them. I've now changed it to the names instead using ns and ns2.

Thanks btw but you're both querying the wrong server, I've set up my server with the information I want, that's not the problem, the problem is Verisign's servers being wrong and my registrar not populating them with the right records.

Thanks
Henrik Morsing
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk