[Gllug] Open source == 'Popular Computing'

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:37:45 UTC 2009

On 21 Apr 2009, at 11:21, Simon Wilcox wrote:

> Absolutely but if it were done right it would be quite an
> interesting &
> pleasant place to work.

It would still be a nightmare, the cause is usually that management is
trying to get something done in half the time. Said company said "If
we discover one of our competitors is going to launch a product in 2
hours, we'll launch ours in an hour and 50 minutes".

Yes. Good one. Go burn.

> James didn't say that he left because he found out that their testing
> and documentation regime wasn't up to the job of supporting frequent
> releases. I was hoping he would clarify it. I was just making the
> point
> that a frequent release cycle isn't reason enough on its own to turn
> down a job.

Never trust a company to get releases right. It's bad enough when it's
once a fortnight, let alone once every 2 hours. As it happens, said
company didn't have a testing culture and code was written to be done
as quickly as possible (see above). There were signs up in the office
saying "What's the quickest way to write this?" "What's the quickest
way to get this live?".

> Don't get me wrong, I think the number of places that get it right are
> well in the minority and it's certainly an indicator that you need to
> check more closely into the working environment !

Few enough people get it right that it's not even worth considering.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk