[Gllug] audio cd tracks into mp3 files

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Wed Apr 22 09:52:53 UTC 2009

On 21 Apr 2009, at 20:27, Lucy Peters wrote:

> Do you know which linux program can translate tracks from audio cd
> into mp3 files ? The tracks that i am going to translate are
> freebies from newspaper and i don't think it is illegal to translate
> into mp3 format.

In the past I've used a very nice script called "abcde" (a better CD
encoder) which handles the ripping, track name lookup, encoding,
storing in appropriately named directory structure etc. It defaults to
using "lame" to make MP3s but will also output Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, etc.

Chances are that the GUI music player approaches being suggested
elsewhere in this thread are more user-friendly, but last time I
ripped a load of CDs (maybe 4 years ago) abcde was the perfect tool.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk