[Gllug] To LLU or Not to LLU?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Apr 1 15:43:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 04:23:53PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
[...]
> On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 01:40:39PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
[...]
>> This seems to work just fine with Skype, even on 400kb/s uplinks.
> You have to be joking. I _work_ at home, and, sure Skype works in limited
> cases, except when it doesn't, or when I'm uploading anything, or just
> _using_ the connection for anything else.

Well, if you're routinely doing heavy uploading on ADSL, you've bought the
wrong product. You can purchase SDSL right now, and it works over the same
copper you've already got. No need for fibre here.

> [BBC]
>> Purchasing the content outright would be prohibitive.
> You seem to be forgetting that we already paid for it.

No we haven't. A lot of productions are collaborations and so the BBC don't
own the rights. Even for those productions which are entirely in-house, the
actors still need to be paid repeat fees due to the Equity agreements.

The BBC doesn't have much material that is not rights-encumbered in some
way. They've been going through the archives to find stuff that is not
encumbered, and you can already view that at bbc.co.uk/archive/

>> Also why "should" universities make their valuable lectures available for
>> free, given that students pay a lot of money for that service?
> Because we paid for it already!

Again, we haven't. There may be some subsidisation of tertiary education,
but that doesn't mean it's ours to view for free, much like subsidies of the
arts doesn't mean we can demand free live streaming of concerts from the
Royal Opera House either.

Students, and theatre goers, still pay handsomely to gain access to the
content. It's not free.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk