[Gllug] dns requests to djbdns time out

Wed Apr 8 15:45:35 UTC 2009

I have a server running djbdns at ns1.aviavi.co.uk (several other
domains point there, but they mostly rely on that nameserver). Recently
it's stopped responding to DNS queries. I don't know how long for exactly.

When I do an nslookup (from a windows box) I get:

U:\>nslookup aviswebsite.co.uk ns1.aviavi.co.uk
DNS request timed out.
     timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 89.16.175.157: Timed out
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  89.16.175.157

DNS request timed out.
     timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
     timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out
U:\>

And these three lines are written to /service/tinydns/log/main/current:

@4000000049dcc4f41a335fe4 c1200a42:b59e:0001 - 000c
157.175.16.89.in-addr.arpa
@4000000049dcc4f61a51f404 c1200a42:2890:0002 - 0001
aviswebsite.co.uk.sgl.group
@4000000049dcc4f81a4c8564 c1200a42:9a89:0003 - 0001 aviswebsite.co.uk

nothing gets written to dnscache's log.
The PC from which i run the nslookup is in the Windows domain sgl.group.
89.16.175.157 is the IP address of this server

 From the box itself, I can successfully dig addresses both defined by
my nameserver, and not (typically aviswebsite.co.uk and yahoo.com
respectively), using or omitting '@127.0.0.1'.

I can establish a telnet connection on port 53 from a remote host.

I've tried the 'reinstall' method of clearing and re-establishing
symlinks and restarting the services, but this doesn't seem to have
changed anything.

I'm a bit stuck on where to go next, to be honest. From what I gather,
I've tested both tinydns and dnscache and found them to be working, but
only from the local machine. I've tested tinydns from a remote machine
and found it to not work.

This is djbdns installed via apt-get on a Debian Lenny virtual server. I
upgraded from Etch to Lenny last week, and haven't checked the DNS
server in the mean time.

--
Avi Greenbury :) http://aviswebsite.co.uk
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk