[Gllug] Solaris training

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Tue Apr 21 14:50:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 03:08:49PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> James Laver wrote:
> > Talk of them ditching it?!
> >
> > They're overjoyed, it's probably going to become their enterprise
> > platform of choice, with linux as a secondary option.
>
> Some of the biggest markets for Oracle these days are the developing
> countries - and you need to keep in mind that there is almost no solaris
> anywhere there.
>
> They are almost certainly going to hedge their bets. Let the markets
> play out and start loosing developers and product teams depending on who
> generates how much money for them in the short to medium term.

I expect they will throw it in with the DB costs in those markets, I think
the Sun deal is good for oracle as before they aways had to use someone
elses Iron, and normally OS. Now they can start providing a complete out of
the box solution. This is much better for Solaris than the IBM deal would
have been already having there own iron and os... even if it is AIX!

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk