[Gllug] Solaris training

Dan danthegeekman at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 21 13:06:37 UTC 2009

Matthew Smith wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just got a call from the Sun Microsystems training people, telling me
> I might be eligible for partially government-sponsored training in
> Solaris administration.  Sun do a two-part Solaris admin course and the
> government's "Train to Gain" scheme covers 60% of the costs.
>
> Has anyone got any experience of Sun training?  The woman who called
> couldn't tell me how much the cost would be, with or without the discount.

No experience myself and it's always a good sign when they don't know
home much their product costs!

> Also, how much in demand are Solaris admin skills nowadays?

There is demand though from what I've seen.  It depends what you already
know well, have certifications for (if that's the route you want to
take) and what you want to do in your career.

I know that
> Solaris has been losing out to Linux all over the place, so how
> transferable are Solaris skills to Linux really?  What about the Oracle
> acquisition?

Oracle often runs on Solaris and as such during the press releases for
the acquisition, Oracle have said they would like to optimise
Solaris/Oracle solutions.

In reality it's far to early to tell what Oracle is going to do.  Oracle
is the number 2 software house in the world for enterprise software.  I
can't image this is going to hurt Solaris's standing.  MySQL on the
other hand, now that's a worry.

I asked about this on the phone and she told me that all
> the training schemes were going ahead, but the problem is that they're
> not much use if the OS is going downhill anyway.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt Smith

Ginger Dan
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk