[Gllug] Wi-fi keys

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Tue Apr 14 10:12:22 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I'm trying to get a friends new laptop connected to his wifi and am having
trouble with the WEP key [0]

Basically, there are three Linux laptops which have no problems accepting and
using the passphrase (which is about 40 characters) but Vista [1] seems to be
insisting on the 13 character ASCII verion. I've found plenty of places
online to generate random keys, or map ASCII to the HEX, but had no luck
finding out how to get the ASCII key from either the passphrase or HEX
string.

Does anyone know of the method, or a site/app which will do it for me, or even
better of a way to get Vista to act like a decent OS and accept a passphrase?

Thanks

Dylan

[0] Yes, I know - he should be using using WPA but there's no telling some
people!
[1] Oh YUK - how could he?
--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk