[Gllug] Ubuntu Jaunty Releases and Beer this evening

George caparo.g at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 09:48:43 UTC 2009

On Friday 24 April 2009 10:19:22 Gary Pownall wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2009, at 09:57, George wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 April 2009 15:29:29 Alan Pope wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Ubuntu 9.04 released today.
> > >
> > > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2009-April/000122.htm
> > >
> > > This evening the Ubuntu Local Community support team will be
> > > celebrating alongside a bunch of people from some random company
> > > called Coninicol or something.
> > >
> > > If you're in London this evening and fancy a beer, come into The
> > > Warwick and celebrate with us. Everyone welcome, whether you're an
> > > Ubuntu user or not.
> > >
> > > From: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyReleaseParties - "We have the
> > > entirety of the downstairs Booth Bar reserved. There is a fair
> >
> > amount
> >
> > > of seating and the capacity is more than double the space that we
> >
> > had
> >
> > > last year. You will be able to order food if you like as well.
> >
> > Nearest
> >
> > > tubes to The Warwick are Piccadilly, Leicester Sq or Oxford Circus.
> > > Bar is open until 3am entry for 18's and over with ID"
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Al.
> >
> > Hmmm,
> > Having had Jaunty crash 3 times in 6 hours more like drown my
> > sorrows the last Ubuntu never flinched let alone crash.
> > Kmail now has pat mail in just a date which you must hand expand &
> > now take double the screen space. There appears to be no way to bulk
> > expand the whole of a mail box and get rid of this double date box.
> > Not always being well enough to answer my mail I would like to see
> > who I need to answer after a spell in hospital without haveing to
> > open each bloody line to find out who wrote on what day.
> >
> > I do not know who made the assumption that every one wanted to
> > change the settings but he /she needs to think about other people
> > not just oooh that looks pretty , if you think that way go work for
> > that place in Redmond .
> >
> > --
> > Geo
>
> Aren't you being a bit harsh here?  For one thing thanks to the
> generosity of Mark Shuttleworth and Debian, Ubuntu has, and probably
> always will be free.  If you want to pay £90.00 for a windows upgrade,
> go right ahead.
>
> A few teething troubles should be expected, which I'm sure will be
> sorted out in an update shortly.  I personally feel a 6 month release
> cycle to be a bit daft.
>
> Gazza The Hutt
Hi,
 Having been with the linux product since the early-mid '90's I have learned
what it is to have excellent software and as you point out mostly free (I have
tried the non-free versions as well ) I have become used to the fact that you
can have upgrades of code that do not mess up the "visual" snd sensible
setting one has chosen.
 However this time around all my wallpaper setings to demarkate the several
"screens" have been wpied and Kmail has gone to the dogs completely with out
so much as a by your leave which is why I do not like the Redmond product and
would certainly not buy it as it has continually displayed this kind of
behaviour if that is harsh  so be it.

--
Geo