[Gllug] Odd laptop resolutions and Xorg

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:39:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 5:24 PM, gunzip <emacs.el at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying one of the new Acer laptops but I note they come in all kinds of new/odd screen resolutions these days, such as 15.6"/1366 x 768 and 12.1"/1280 x 800. Can Xorg on Fedora or Ubuntu handle these accurately or will I need to limit myself to a more standard 15.4"/WXGA?

Yes, it's not a problem. I've been running non-standard resolutions on
Fedora (and Red Hat before that) for years. In the good old days of
CRT monitors, you used to be able to get much better resolution and
refresh rates than the standard VESA modes by coming up with a custom
modeline. It may be old now, but the information in the XFree86 Video
Timings HOWTO is still valid and will tell you everything you need to
know about this.

Tet

--
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
understand the exponential function -- Albert Bartlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk