[Gllug] OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Apr 30 09:54:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:23:18AM +0100, Joel Bernstein wrote:
[...]
> This doesn't appear to stop the iphone selling like hot cakes. It has
> appalling battery life AND you can't replace the battery without voiding
> warranty or sending off to Apple. Marketing is the thing, not battery
> life, apparently.

Perhaps the "thing" is that it's not a complicated piece of crap with a
hideous user interface like many other smartphones. Linux users may well be
able to ignore that KDE or Windows Mobile is butt-ugly and learn to navigate
around a confusing interface, but they're rather "special" in that regard.

Bjarne Stroustrup, the inventor of C++ and so no stranger to complex systems
with strange interactions, said "I have always wished for my computer to be
as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no
longer figure out how to use my telephone."

There has been a pent-up market for a simple smartphone, and the iPhone hit
that market just right. Marketing helps, of course, but it'd sell plenty
even if Apple didn't advertise it at all.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk