[Gllug] Programmer Wanted (scripter and compiler)

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Apr 29 11:18:28 UTC 2009

On 29 Apr 2009, Juergen Schinker uttered the following:

> Nix wrote:
>> (And it was the opportunity of a lifetime, too: you rarely get the
>> opportunity to become a piece of software. A DBA at work has become a
>> 'Relational Database' on his junk mail: I suppose he replied positively
>> to an offer similar to James's at some time in the past.)
>
> it's nice to watch 'nix' wake up and answer all the threads..

Er, yes, the patented batch response mode. I'm timesharing, really! I
just have a time quantum of about four days.

> have you been on holiday for 2 weeks or just busy?

One week on holiday, one week insane workload, one week flattened with
cold, several days musing over ordering new hardware, and now some of it
has arrived in time for my birthday and I'm jumping in a circle going
yippee!!!! like a four-year-old.

Finally I am not cursed to prehistoric hardware purchased in the 1990s!
Finally I have a system that can bootstrap GCC in (I suspect) a few
minutes (haven't got it up far enough to verify that yet, though, it
only arrived ten minutes ago) and which will pretty much never ever swap
no matter what I do to it, and which has more disk space than I can
imagine needing (RAIDed, with a battery-backed hardware RAID
controller). I've spent fifteen years using the 'get an almost-obsolete
system, there's a huge markdown' philosophy, and this time I looked at
the top-of-the-line stuff too and it wasn't terribly much more
expensive, probably because the executive fodder is all laptops now. Of
course this now means I have a desktop box on which 3D doesn't yet work,
but I can live with that.)

Unfortunately I'm still flattened with cold and now the hardware has
arrived shall celebrate by going to sleep. Again.

I haven't even powered it on yet and only opened one box. I'll probably
open the other one and find a crate of jam jars in there or something.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk