[Gllug] To LLU or Not to LLU?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Apr 1 15:23:53 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 01:40:39PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 12:45:55PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 01:34:47PM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
> >> Could you explain to this bear of little brain why a residential property
> >> requires gigabit Internet access,
> [...]
> > (1) Cut carbon emissions and pollution, and free up the roads and air, by
> > allowing far more people to work at home. To do this effectively requires
> > really good quality (high bandwidth, low latency) video conferencing
> > services.
>
> This seems to work just fine with Skype, even on 400kb/s uplinks.

You have to be joking.  I _work_ at home, and, sure Skype works in
limited cases, except when it doesn't, or when I'm uploading anything,
or just _using_ the connection for anything else.

Anyway, a 640x480 grainy, choppy video with intermittent sound is not
what I'm talking about.

If we are to obviate the need for salesmen to travel up and down the
M1, and overseas in polluting airplanes, we need really high quality,
completely reliable, low latency, secure video streams which can be
projected onto a large wall without any pixelation.  Multiple video
streams too, because you'll want to show the presentation windows
(plural) and the speaker and the audience.

[BBC]
>  Purchasing the content outright would be
> prohibitive.

You seem to be forgetting that we already paid for it.

> Also why "should" universities make their valuable lectures
> available for free, given that students pay a lot of money for that
> service?

Because we paid for it already!

Rich.

--