[Gllug] frying bacon

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 3 10:50:04 UTC 2009

On Fri 03 Apr, Alain Williams wrote:

> For some time now I hear a sound of someone frying bacon in the background
> of all my phone calls ... makes conversations sometimes hard.
>
> Plugging/unplugging things I find that if my broadband modem (d-link ds-604+) is
> unplugged/switched-off the cooking stops. This is on a BT phone system.
> Changing the 'phone makes no difference.
>
> What is likely to be the culprit:
>
> * broadband filter
> * my BB modem
> * BT exchange
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Alain Williams
> Linux/GNU Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT Lecturer.

   It could be the line itself, either a faulty joint, wet cable, or
touching another connection having been moved. Unfortunately you do need
some form of ADSL filter to make sure it is not that carrier, but you may be
able to borrow one for a while. If possible, remove all other local
connections while you listen, easily done if you have an LTE5 termination by
removing the lower front panel.

Chris Bell NEW alternative address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
www.overview.demon.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk