[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Alison Young ali at anarres-worlds.org
Sun Aug 30 11:22:59 UTC 2009

Peter Corlett wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2009, at 13:48, James Pearson wrote:
> [...]
>> Salary: Up to £18k
>> Location: Soho, London
>

> Good luck with that...

I think it would depend on whether the "Key Tasks/duties" section of the
advert was a list of things that the successful applicant would be
expected to be able to do, or (as I read it) a list of things that a
successful application would be taught how to do.

My only quibble about the advert is the use of the phrase "A degree is
not required", since that does slightly implies "... but we'll hire
someone with a degree over someone without" and I wonder how many people
without degrees would then not bother applying since they know they
wouldn't have a hope (unaware that anyone with a degree wouldn't bother
applying for a salary that low).

It's still a rather low salary, even for a first job so if I were
recruiting for that position, I think I'd include an arrangement that
the probation period was 6 months, after which if the candidate was to
be kept on their salary would automatically go up by at least 4K.

Alison

--
Alison Young
ali at anarres-worlds.org