[Gllug] Alan Turing petition

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 4 22:34:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Alain Williams<addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 05:02:29PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
>>
>> Fellow GLLUGers may or may not find this petition interesting:
>>
>>   http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/turing/
>>
>>   We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to apologize for the
>>   prosecution of Alan Turing that led to his untimely death.
>
> Well, they should not have done it ... but I don't like this fad of apologizing for
> what our grandfathers did. Empty words that can't help the poor buggers who
> were attacked in the first place.

It is not a personal apology.

It would be an apology on behalf of the British government, or state
or whatever, which is exactly the same entity that made Turing's life
a misery.

Such apologies are highly symbolic, I am sure gay people would
actually welcome an unequivocal statement regarding Turing's
harassment.

> Erecting a monument to him - somewhere prominent would be far better, show that
> this country recognises techincal achievement rather than honouring politicians
> & those air heads in the entertainment business.

I agree with this, but one thing does not preclude the other.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk