[Gllug] security check

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Wed Aug 12 09:28:24 UTC 2009

On 12 Aug 2009, at 10:22, Dylan wrote:

> They do indeed exist (at least in France) it is necessary to insert
> the card
> before the pump will dispense any fuel and IMMSMR the card is not
> released
> until the nozzle is properly replaced.

Isn't there some pan-european disability discrimination directive that
ought to stop this dead in its tracks?

For a good example of automated systems that work for C+S users, see
Marks and Spencer self checkout, which has a digital sign pad. While
they're still not as nice as a human, if the queues are bad they're
alright. And you can mute the stupid thing as well, so at least it
isn't completely hateful.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't do any signature verification, but that is
a far-from-trivial problem. At the very least, even without a
signature pad, they could run it as a CNP (Cardholder Not Present)
transaction, thus not needing signature.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk