[Gllug] Getting an IP address at a public WiFi point

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Aug 15 11:36:46 UTC 2009

lesleyb at herlug.org.uk wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 09:45:57AM +0100, John Winters wrote:
[snip]
>> john at liberty:~$ lspci | grep -i wireless
>> 04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
>> [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
>> john at liberty:~$
>>
>> Sounds similar.
> I have the same and I've successfully used the lappie outside on free services
> I have the firmware-iwlwifi package installed
>
> Package: firmware-iwlwifi
> New: yes
> State: installed
> Automatically installed: no
> Version: 0.17

That's the later version of the firmware package from Squeeze/Sid - not
the one installed by default in Lenny, which gives you an earlier
version of the firmware.

Interestingly, this version (0.17) includes two different versions of
the firmware and it seems from my experiments that by default only the
older one is used.  The documents don't touch on how you are intended to
force the newer one, although obviously it can be done with a bit of
renaming.

It sounds like I can constructively try both the newer firmware and the
newer kernel (2.6.30).  The only trouble is, none of the access points
near me seems to exhibit the problem.  I can't go and catch a ferry to
France just to test it.  ;-)

Cheers,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk