[Gllug] Restore RAID0 /var

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 26 13:22:52 UTC 2009

gvim wrote:
> I have a Fedora 11 server with the following configuration:

lol.

Fedora 11 "server"

You do know that Fedora is the less stable testing ground version of
RHEL/CentOS, right? You really want to run your server off that? You
know, Fedora or Ubuntu putting the word "server" in the mix doesn't
necessarily make it a proper best practice server platform... (no flames
please we've all heard the rubbish counter points before from people
running their one server off a usb stick plugged in to on an ipod
shuffle...  ;-)   )

> /dev/sdc
> ----------
> /boot
> LVM: swap + /
>
> /dev/md0 = /dev/sda + /dev/sdb RAID0
> /var
>
> I am wondering if it will be possible to restore /var independently if either of the 2 RAID0 disks fails?

No. Everything on /var would be lost. You would be better off using
RAID1 if you don't want to lose data. If you've already lost a disk,
consider it a learning experience.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon