[Gllug] Linux SANs (was: Maintaining music libraries in various formats)

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 20 17:28:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Walter
Stanish<walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com> wrote:

> (Hint for Unix people with skills, time and some cash
>  to invest in hardware - you could do worse than get
>  yourself in to this area, it's definitely going to grow.)

This is completely unrealistic.

One is not going to compete with EMC, Netapps or Sun. In the larger
end they would simply laugh at you, in the lower end whatever you have
to offer would not scale.

>> Nexenta Core isn't bad, but you need to know the solaris
>> and zfs management stuff on the command line as there
>> are no other management tools with it, they want you to
>> buy the pro version for that.
>
> Yes, we'd be buying the 'pro' version.
>
> - Walter

If you are intending to use Nexenta you should really talk to Sun.

Their storage devices (based on Solaris+ZFS+dtrace) are very versatile
and flexible.

The amount of troubleshooting you can do (based on dtrace) is really
impressive. You can actually download a VMware virtual machine in
which you can play with a virtualized storage device so you can see
what it can do.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk