[Gllug] IPv6 and firewalls

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Wed Aug 12 11:26:13 UTC 2009

On Wed 12 Aug, Peter Childs wrote:

> Can I be really stupid, and ask how do I create an IP6 Lan using
> Linux? It seams that you can tell linux to connect to an IPv6 Lan but
> how do I create such a thing.
>
> I suspect I need to update my DNS and DHCP (all running inside the
> LAN) but how? Until setting up a IPv6 subnet is easy nobody is going
> to to use it. I also guess I need to set the firewall/router to
> convert between IPv4/6
>
> I'm looking at updating my IPv4 Lan behind a multi cast firewall
> currently using 192.168.* ips
>
> Peter.

   There is a Linux+IPv6 HOWTO at The Linux Documentation Project

www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6

   There is plenty more information at

www.ipv6.org

and organisations such as ARIN and Nominet are putting more information
online.

   There are various new terms such as stateful and stateless which are easy
enough to understand, together reasons why they exist.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk