[Gllug] SQL performance tuning

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Aug 26 15:10:51 UTC 2009

On 08/26/2009 02:55 PM, Walter Stanish wrote:
> IMHO if your SQL performance is getting to the point
> where it's disk-bound, then there are much more
> significant optimisations you can perform than switching
> to RAID0.

true for smaller and oltp based roles, things get much more complex when
you move away from those :)

> Of course, you are absolutely right that
> throwing 2 or 4 x SSD on RAID0 will speed up read
> performance, but other strategies can often be more
> powerful.

Sure, but its not a case of either / or.

I'd expect sysadmin driven optimisation to definitely be more
infrastructure oriented than the dba stuff you mentioned. The move to
memcache would further increase the horizon and bring in developers as
well.

Although, having said that, plenty of situations wherein all 3 roles are
the same person :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk